[K12OSN] TeacherTool

Liam Marshall lsrpm at mts.net
Tue Sep 28 19:38:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 12:46, Liam Marshall wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 12:12, Huck wrote:
> > Posting TeacherTool:
> > Hopes it's okay to do so...
> >

> this works better.  Now I get a list of gdm at ws187.ltsp etc....
> but they are all just sitting at the login waiting.  My own username
> shows up and I can manipulate it, but none of the other users currently
> logged on
>
> Why would this be?

I just discovered what is happening myself, although I don't understand
why.

I made each student's username their individual school provided unique
student number.  (ie 04-111 for John Doe)  I did it that way to make it
easy to create 600+ users from an exported file.  It had the advantage
of being unique for everyone and easy for them to remember.

Unfortunately, Linux utilities do not seem to like usernames that begin
with numbers.

TeacherTool ignores users who's username does not begin with a letter.
Bummer, Sh**t and other expletives!  I shot myself in the foot.  I made
my life easy at the beginning of the year now I can't use TeacherTool
because of it!!!

Unless someone knows how to correct this issue?

Please