[K12OSN] Serving profiles

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Wed Sep 1 21:45:39 UTC 2004

Huck <dhuckaby at paasda.org> wrote:

I noticed some issues with forever logging in/out syncing the profiles
as well...
<<

Similar problem here; the big problem is the "Temporary Internet Files"
"folder" which is part of the profile and gets uploaded and downloaded. I'm
pretty sure it's possible to redirect this to a local directory so that
it's not part of the roaming profile, but I haven't found the registry key
that will control this (I've only had a quick flip through my "Windows XP
Registry Guide" so far).

To delete roaming profiles when a user logs out, the Samba HOWTO
Collection, Chapter 23 "Desktop Profile Management", recommends creating a
registry key as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon\"DeleteRoamingCache"=dword:00000000

With this set, the local copy of the profile will be deleted on logout.
(Aside: on first glannce, it looked to me as though that's bass-ackwards:
normally 0 is false and 1 is true, so I would have expected the setting to
be dword:00000001. It's been a while since I set this up and I recall
fiddling with the setting - I'd recommend trying the different values and
doing some testing).

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]