[K12OSN] 486 Terminals Fail to Boot (4.0.1)

k12ltsp k12ltsp at hermon.net
Thu Sep 2 16:02:16 UTC 2004

Hi Everyone,

I have looked on the internet for an answer to this puzzle that I can't
figure out, but with no success! I was wondering if anyone could point me
in the right direction. Here's our issue:

In one of our classrooms, we are using 486 computers with ISA cards to
boot into K12LTSP. Formerly, on the 3.1.2 distribution, we had no trouble
booting into the server. We added the option 128 and 129 lines and they
booted flawlessly. Below is a line we used for one of the terminals:

    host ws007 {
        hardware ethernet     00:50:BA:2F:D1:E7;
        fixed-address         192.168.0.7;
        filename              "/lts/vmlinuz.ltsp";
        option option-128 e4:45:74:68:00:00;
        option option-129 "NIC=ne IO=0X300";
	}

We then made an entry in the lts.conf file for these computers:
[00:50:BA:2F:D1:E7]
         XSERVER            = XF86_SVGA
         X_COLOR_DEPTH    = 8

The lines did the trick, but with the same entries on 4.0.1, the terminals
fail to boot. They stop at the point that the kernel downloads. There is
no error message, it simply stops working. I am suspecting that the
vmlinuz.ltsp kernel is incompatible? What can I do to get these terminals
to boot?

Thank you for the help! LTSP is great! In Hermon Maine, we are using these
terminals district wide in all schools and the kids love them!

Sincerely,
Alan Owen
Student Computer Technician
Hermon School Department