[K12OSN] Understanding ethernet - terminology and cables

David H. Barr david at okgoodwill.org
Thu Sep 2 16:28:08 UTC 2004

You should DEFINITELY learn how to make cables, if you can.  It's fairly
simple, and will save you a ton.  Of course, if you're doing a
significant run (Say, more than about 20 drops) you'd probably want to
just pay someone else to get all dirty and sweaty.  If you're just doing
short patch cables (say, one classroom) definitely buy a box of Cat5 and
a pack of ice cubes (terminators).

Yes, GigaE == 1000bT, although there is fiber GigaE, as well.

I am not familiar with the various cable names, but properly terminated
Cat5 should be all you need for up to copper gigabit speeds.

Regards,
-dBarr.

PS:  Here's a link to an image I made for cable terminating:
http://www.okgoodwill.org/images/cable.gif