[K12OSN] Mondo fails in 4.1....won't go...ideas?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Sep 5 02:38:09 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 10:31, David Trask wrote:
> I have very little for backup....and was simply at least getting some
> disaster recovery in place.  I need the least down time if possible.  I'm
> open to all sorts of backup scenarios if folks can point me to them or
> how-to them for me....I've got lots of NFS shares going back and forth
> between many servers...so there's room

I've mentioned it before but my favorite is still backuppc from
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

It uses a clever scheme of compression and links to minimize
the space needed for online backups and has a nice web interface
to browse through and restore them.  It is about as easy as it
gets for the common case of needing a file or directory from
a few days back and with a bootable CD like knoppix or the
rescue mode of the fedora install disk and a little work you
can do a bare-metal restore.  For the latter you have to
ssh the command line to the backup server to send the tar
image you want and pipe it to a local tar restore command.
It's especially good if you have several servers and/or a
mix of Linux and windows to back up because it does them
all automatically and gives you a single place to control them
and do restores.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com