[K12OSN] NIC swap in LTSP

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Thu Sep 9 13:39:54 UTC 2004

Jim Kronebusch wrote:

>I posted this problem before but let me re-outline it for everyone.  I
>have a new Dell with a Gigabit NIC onboard and a 10/100 NIC PCI card.
>Problem is when 4.1.0 loads it detects my NIC's in an undesirable order
>defaulting my Gigabit NIC for internet and the 10/100 for the LTSP
>network.  I need this of course in opposite order.  Les recommended me
>to swap aliases in /etc/modules.conf and reboot and all should be well.

On a 2.6 kernel that file would now be /etc/modprobe.conf, and some
syntax has changed, but alias is still the same.
Also note that this change alone may not be sufficient.  If you run
system-config-network it is possible to configure MAC addr association
with interface configs, which you may want to explore if the alias lines
in /etc/modprobe.conf don't fix your problem.

Chris