[K12OSN] samba-winbind-ads setup

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Fri Sep 10 15:41:23 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf
Of Henry Burroughs
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 10:34 AM
To: k12osn at redhat.com
Subject: RE: [K12OSN] samba-winbind-ads setup

Sounds like a PAM problem.   if you run system-config-authentication,
and configure winbind support for both User information as well as
Authentication.  Also, try "getent password" or "getent group"... you
should see the AD users... just like you were looking at /etc/password
(unless you don't have enumeration set).

I personally am using AD directory via LDAP & Kerberos... I had to do
some hacking on /etc/pam.d/ to get it to work though.  Not fully
operational yet for all users (still "tweaking" my k12ltsp server).

Secretly, I am looking to dump AD next summer and move to pure LDAP...
my 2 win2k servers are cranky and steadily running out of space on C:
(what's up with that!!!!)

--
Henry Burroughs
Technology Director
hburroughs at hhprep.org

Henry,

Wish I could dump the two win2x servers I have, but accounting app and voice
mail depend on them (until the program vendors port to Linux!).

Sorry to be such a noob, but " if you run system-config-authentication,
and configure winbind support for both User information as well as
Authentication"  -  how?

I ran getent password and getent group, and I did get the correct responses.

Many thanks.

Diggy