[K12OSN] Login from Windows using pGina

Trond Mæhlum trondrm at online.no
Sun Sep 12 12:52:41 UTC 2004

I want to make it possible to login on a Windows box using the Linux
username and password. I have a rather complex setup.

I have a central fileserver for 5 schools, approx 2000 users. Each of
the schools have their dedicated LTSP server, also central. Each school
connects to their LTSP server using vlan technology. The central
fileserver is also my LDAP server, so the five LTSP servers use LDAP for
login. The fileserver is also prepared to allow samba logins on the
domain.

The problem is that the vlan networks out on the schools don't see the
fileserver. They can only connect to the thin-client-nic on the LTSP
servers. So, obviously Samba does not work.

I have seen something about pGina, but I have not tried it. My question
is this; Can pGina be used in my case? Can a Windows PC use one of the
LTSP servers as login-server, which in turn authenticates through ldap
on the central server?

Or can Samba be set up on one of the LTSP servers to allow logins
through the centrally placed LDAP server, if so, how?

My system is like this:

Fileserver(LDAP)-10.0.2.0-LTSPservers-10.255.253.0-CISCO-10.100.10.0,
10.100.11.0 (vlans)

Hope this makes sense... It's difficult to explain. But can someone give
me some help or maybe some pointers on this?

Regards

Trond Mæhlum