[K12OSN] bottleneck question

Liam Marshall lsrpm at mts.net
Mon Sep 13 12:54:48 UTC 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 21:19, Liam Marshall wrote:
>

>>how hard would changing the motherboard and consequently the
>>nics be to the hard drives, already loaded and configured?
>>what I am most  concerned about is the nics, already configured
>>and working with the old nics.  if I move the hard drives into
>>a new system and boot up, is the kernel smart enough to detect
>>the changes and modify itself?
>>

>The worst that will happen with the NICs is that they may
>be detected in a different order.  If both are the same speed
>you just have to switch the connections.  If you have one gig
>NIC and need to keep it as the uplink to the clients you might
>have to do some manual tweaking to force it to be eth0.  If
>your drives are IDE you shouldn't have any trouble moving them.
>If they are scsi, you need to have the same kind of controller
>or you will have problems making them boot in the new system.
>It is possible to fix that by booting from CD, adjusting the
>modules.conf (or modprobe.conf) and rebuilding the initrd
>but it is probably easier to reinstall, keeping the /home
>partition and copies of your passwd, etc. files to drop back
>in afterwords.
>
>---
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

that should be ok then, as far as the nics.  As far as the scsi drives,
I am moving them along with the controller, so that should be no
problem.  In your opinion, should I wait to see if the extra memory
solves the issues or jump straight to the new mb and memory.  old
machine is hyperthreading 3.06 with 2 GB ram, and I have ordered memory
to go up to 4 G ram.

if I have to, I will go to a real dual cpu board