[K12OSN] bottleneck question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Sep 13 14:36:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 07:54, Liam Marshall wrote:

> that should be ok then, as far as the nics.  As far as the scsi drives,
> I am moving them along with the controller, so that should be no
> problem.  In your opinion, should I wait to see if the extra memory
> solves the issues or jump straight to the new mb and memory.  old
> machine is hyperthreading 3.06 with 2 GB ram, and I have ordered memory
> to go up to 4 G ram.

If you aren't actively swapping, I wouldn't expect a dramatic gain
from adding RAM.  I'm kind of curious about David Trask's observation
that 4.1 seems to consume more CPU than earlier versions during
program loading, though.  Are you seeing the same?  That is, do
things get better after all the clients have finished starting
programs?

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com