[K12OSN] Win4Lin

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Wed Sep 15 01:21:02 UTC 2004

I have to agree with Norbert.  I'm actually in the midst of my
"experiment" at this point and I must say it's working great!  I bought a
Windows 2003 Terminal Server CD and 100 Terminal Server CALs (not bad....I
spent $400+ in all I think).  I installed it on my old K12LTSP server
(dual Pentuim III 1.x ghz....3 GB RAM) and simply joined the domain.
Since my Samba/LDAP server is the PDC hosting all the home dirs and
roaming profiles....setting this thing up was almost as easy as setting up
K12LTSP.  I didn't have to add any users since all authentication and so
forth is on my Samba/LDAP server.  Now....all my users do to get to the
Windows Terminal Server is fire up their Linux terminal....log in....go to
the IceWM start menu....click on "Connect to Windows"....enter their
password (username and domain are already filled in since I use the
following command     rdesktop -f -a 16 -d mydomain 10.0.6.254   The
Windows desktop comes up and away they go!  It's fast and since it's a
seperate session I've noticed virtually zero impact on the rest of my
K12LTSP network....the CPU on the K12LTSP server isn't affected at all and
the bandwidth doesn't seem to be any worse than a traditional LTSP
session.  It's proving to be a great way to have our cake and eat it too.
90% of the time the kids work in Linux, but I am also using PowerPoint
(once in a while) and so forth to draw the parallels between that and OO
so the kids can be exposed to and use whatever they may encounter.  Kinda'
like driver's ed....we don't teach kids to drive Fords...we teach them to
drive cars.  We don't teach Windows...we teach concepts that apply to any
app...Windows, Linux or Mac OS X....etc.  (Although we all prefer Linux
:-)  )

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, September 14, 2004 at 7:36 PM +0000 wrote:
>Hi,
>
>After considering ALL factors specifically in an educational context, I
>wouldn't suggest either solution! We have tried them all and have come to
>the conclusion that, ( and note I have a great deal of disdain for M$
>products!!! ), the best solution for multiple users where specific
>Windows applications are mandatory is to have a W2K server on the K12ltsp
>network and use rdesktop to open M$ sessions.
>Compare cost, compatibility & performance & the W2K server wins out. Now
>note that this uses costing for educational institutions as a benchmark
>for comparison.
>
>regards
>norbert

David N. Trask