[K12OSN] Win4Lin

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Wed Sep 15 01:35:20 UTC 2004

Hi David,

Believe it was a difficult decision !!! After working like hell to get
M$ out of the lab, there I was having to sneak in a W2K server :-( .
Why W2K versus Server 2003....... well for one the testing of Server
2003 although impressive on the performance side was a paid on the
security & notification part, second there was no viable educational
discount and last but most important, the local computer
recycling/refurbishing has an agreement with M$ where both the server
AND CALS are free for non-profit, i.e. educational.
So all facts considered this was the best one. Just a note of caution
the M$ server needs to be a high powered machine !!!!

nb. During the demo of an rdesktop session to the school, the single
fact that convinced them that this was real, i.e not some fancy
programming trick, was when the BSD -> Blue Screen of Death appeared in
the terminal session. Then when I simply switched to another active
window and continued working oblivious to the M$ crash it finally sunk

norbert