[K12OSN] Personal web pages for students

Luke Maslany l.maslany at jmc.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 07:25:08 UTC 2004

The college I work for has asked that students have the ability to host
web content through personal web pages.  Although I am fairly new to
Linux, I have decided that a LAMP setup would provide this ability while
staying within the budgetary constraints (that is to say no money has
been allocated to complete this task!).

I have two questions:
1) What permissions are required on the userdir directory?
2) How are other schools, colleges and universities dealing with this
sort of request?  In particular, how are your students uploading their
files to the server?  (FTP, WebDAV, etc...)

Many thanks for any help or advice you can offer,

Luke Maslany

Luke Maslany
Network Engineer
Josiah Mason College