[K12OSN] VNC from "outside" the local network

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Sep 17 16:01:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 10:35, Jim Hays wrote:
> I need to be able to get a session (through VNC or X or ??) from the
> part of our network that is outside the K12LTSP lab.
>
> Could anyone tell me how I would go about doing that?  Now, when I try
> to VNC into the machine, it doesn't work.

First, you have to use the machine's 'outside' interface IP address
or DNS name for the connection.  Next you either have to make
sure you don't have iptables firewalling blocking the X/vnc
connection, or you have to use ssh forwarding to get through.

If there is a machine that accepts ssh logins that you can reach from
outside and that can reach the vnc server (in this case they are
the same box...) and you are using the Linux vncviewer program
you can use the -via gateway option and it will set up ssh
port-forwarding for you.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com