[K12OSN] HELP how to lock down profile and more???

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Sep 20 15:23:19 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 10:53:02AM -0400, Shawn Powers wrote:
> norbert wrote:
> > do a "/.*" for all the dot files in the directory ?
>
> Sorry -- I replied to the wrong thread, you aren't trying to do an "rm
> -rf" on files -- but still, using username/.* includes the parent
> directory (usually /home) so you probably don't want to fiddle with
> changing ownership, etc.

I agree w/Shawn, and I'd like to point out that if you do the chmod
command as given to /.* (especially if you add the -R "apply
recursively option") you will definitely break some things for the user.
For example, you may break Internet browsing. Mozilla keeps each user's
cache under dotfile directory with the user's home directory.  if this
is not writable, browsing probably won't work.  This is just one
example of how things can be broken by applying large changes to the
user's dotfiles.

I urge caution. (or at the very least some good experimentation and
testing on sample accounts prior to roll out).

--
Linux/Open Source.  Now all your base belongs to you, for free.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"