[K12OSN] startx puts display on server

Dale Harkness dharkness at nsd2.com
Thu Sep 23 19:37:31 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From:	Peter Van den Wildenbergh on behalf of Peter Van den Wildenbergh
Sent:	Thu 9/23/2004 1:38 PM
To:	Support list for opensource software in schools.
Subject:	RE: [K12OSN] startx puts display on server
Dale :

Failing to log in (without msg) and redisplaying the login screen is ...
Seen that one before when you use pam and auth agaist NDS for example.
Usually ID/PW are correct! but actions taken by pam after the login like auto creating /home/dir
fail and that causes a login fail without msg on the screen but...
Check /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure on the server
with the commands
tail -f /var/log/messages
tail -f /var/log/secure

and see what scrolls by when you log in on one of the clients.

If you see anything, post it on the list, and I will take a look at it.

Pete