[K12OSN] switch advice: Netgear or 3com

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Sat Sep 25 06:04:12 UTC 2004

I'm going to ask my school for a new switch. We are currently running 30
clients off a pair of old HUBS.  Our server is a dual Xeon / 4GB / scsi
/ Gig E NIC but the network is saturated. Constant collisions.

I am considering one of these 48 port switches (they have gig e ports
for the server )

Netgear FS750T
http://netgear.com/products/details/FS750T.php

3com  4250T
http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3C17302-US

The 3com is double the price of the Netgear. The 3com has full snmp and
the Netgear has browser based managment. Any reason to avoid the
Netgear? Any votes (or warnings) for other brands ie. Linksys, D-Link,
SMC, Amer.com? A 24 port with a 16 port would work also.

Robert Arkiletian