[K12OSN] switch advice: Netgear or 3com

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Sat Sep 25 14:39:45 UTC 2004

Robert,
I have the prior version of the Netgear 48 port switch (3 in fact), the one without the browser-based management and have not had any issues. (In fact, we have almost identical server hardware, dual Gig E, etc.)   Performance is very acceptable.  The only caveat is that I can't get sound working consistently, but that is probably just me (using LTSP 3, not 4, K12ltsp 3.1.2, not 4.x) and when it works, it lags the video.  With the QOS options on the new switch, plus vlan, I wish I had the new netgear.  In over a year's use, we haven't had to deliberately reset the switches ever.  For what it is worth, there are some netgear switches on ebay as well. (24 port and 48 port).
Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins