[K12OSN] CPU or Memory

Liam Marshall lsrpm at mts.net
Sun Sep 26 04:18:36 UTC 2004

I posted earlier about trying to decide whether to upgrade the memory on
the server, or the cpu

I had a 3.06 GHz hyperthreading cpu and 2 GB of ram
when 30 students would all try and load say, OOwriter, cpu use pegged
and memory usage showed 1.9 out of 2 used.  It would be real slow, until
all where in, then settled down slightly.  But web pages and something
as silly as tux type would bog the whole system down.  I know something
had to be done but could not choose.

We settled on memory, upgrading to 4 GB.  Then I got nervous and ordered
a dual cpu board and two Xeon 3.06 cpu's as well.

Then I was frustrated yesterday when the server atx case I planned to
use had the wrong power supply.  the ASUS PC-DL Deluxe motherboard I
bought needed a SSI type 24 pin connector, mine was 20 pin.

After some frustrating research I learned what the difference was
between an SSI 24 pin connector and the power supply I had was, then I
bit the bullet and went out and paid 185.00 plus tax for the right power
supply.

Then today I was frustrated again. After plugging in the power supply
and connecting everything, I got nothing but a single loooong beep on
power up. No video at all.  after two hours of frustration, I called a
friend for a fresh perspective.  He brought over another duelly system.
We tried video card first, known working from his system.  Zip.  Then we
tried his memory.  Voila!  My 4 GB Kingston memory was defective!
Sh&&%t!  All that wasted time.

Trouble was, my friend only had 2.5 GB of ram for me to try.  Everything
is functioning great though, and I didn't have trouble with the new
hardware.  Nics had to be configured, thats all

So now, instead of changing two things, cpus and memory, I basically
have a dual cpu machine, and 2.5 GB.  I plan to try out the system under
load with the students on Monday, seeing as how I have no choice.
Replacement ram will take at least a week to arrive.  By the end of the
day on Monday I will know whether doubling the cpu's solved the entire
issue.  If it does, I will get my money back for the ram and leave it at
that.  If it helps, but not enough, I will go for the ram to

If anyone is interested I will post results Monday night.