[K12OSN] switch advice: Netgear or 3com

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Mon Sep 27 17:17:50 UTC 2004

Hi Les,

I was referring to their router and wireless NICs (PCI & USB). I just
asked about configuration of the router attached to a linux server and
setup for the
NICs on both Win & Linux stations. The answer from netgear was that
although on the packaging they support Linux this is NOT free only the
Windows support is free.
The original reason that I had bought the netgear product was that the
literature & package both indicated that it worked with linux. Needless
to say I was extremely "!@#$%#@@###" when I learned that linux support
came at a price, since linux issues had to be escaladed to their 2nd
tier support & that level of support was not free!
I never got to considering a third party driver or application after
that response.

norbert