RE: [K12OSN] Remote X Session from Windows XP Client

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 08:11, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > You can also try putty to connect to X via ssh??
>
> Is that possible?  I assumed that you needed something such as cygwin
> that is able to run a local X session and the ssh connection through
> putty was just to transport the X Windows data from the server.  If I
> can do such a thing via putty only please someone let me know, or I
> suppose I could do something crazy and just try it.

Putty can do the same magic X port-forwarding as ssh.  Under
ssh/tunnels, check the box for 'enable X11 forwarding' before
making the connection, then after logging in start an X program
by typing it's name.   However you still need a local X server
running to display the forwarded window.   The cygwin version
running in -multiwindow mode is a good choice for this - it will
open a new window with more-or-less the same look and management
as normal MS apps.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com