[K12OSN] Anyone accessing NDPS printers through K12LTSP?

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Sep 30 21:39:01 UTC 2004

Guy Lessard wrote:

> I'm being forced by the administration to quit using Jetdirect
> connexion to the printer, does anyone use NDPS printers and if so how
> do you do it?

WARNING:  This is not a direct answer to your question, but hopefully
it's useful.

Not being familiar with Novell NDS--other than it's a tweak of LDAP--I
did a little Googling on this subject, and it appears that NDPS is
basically the Novell equivalent UNIX's "IP Printing" functionality or
Windows's "TCP/IP Printing" functionality.  In all three cases,
JetDirect cards or their equivalents are needed.

I don't know if the JetDirect card allows for accepting jobs from only
certain IP addresses (i. e. certain servers).  If it does, then you can
filter for just your "print queue" server.  If not, then, unless you
hang the printer off the LPT port, anyone's going to be able to print to
your printer via JetDirect anyway, unless your switch supports MAC
address filtering.  If the switch does, then you can lock the printer's
switch port down by MAC address.

In either case, you can indeed set up a "print queue" server to handle
all user requests instead of having them go directly to the JetDirect
card.  Matter of fact, you can use your K12LTSP server for this.  :-)
It's actually quite easy with the Red Hat "printconf" utility (might be
called "redhat-config-printer" these days).  Then, you'd go to your
workstations, delete the existing local print queue, and re-make one
pointing to the K12LTSP server's print queue.  Thus, people aren't going
directly to the JetDirect card, which hopefully will satisfy your
administration.

--TP