[K12OSN] Looking for video performance solutions

Chris Thomas cwt137 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 21:57:40 UTC 2005

Hello,

The thing that sped up the graphics a lot was the
network equipment I had. Before getting new hardware,
the clients were getting something like 0.5 frames per
second in the real graphically intensive TuxMath. Then
I upgraded the client's network cards to 100mbit and
put in a switch instead of a hub. The new switch also
had a gigabit upload to the server. I started to get
5-10 frames per second on TuxMath. I bet I could get
higher framerates with better clients but I am stuck
with 133 and 166 pentiums (they don't even have
MMX!).(All fps numbers are my approximation of the
real fps.)

In summary, if you are getting less than 5 fps it is
most likely your network setup. If you want to get
something like 15+ fps. I say get better clients with
better video cards.

Chris
--- Adam Reitsma <areitsma at littletonschools.org>