[K12OSN] evolution

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Mon Apr 4 00:25:55 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 18:48 -0400, bear2bar at netscape.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK I give up how do you get data from evolution 1.4 on a k12ltsp 4.1.1 into anevolution 2.0.2 on a k12ltsp 4.2.1 ?
>
> I've tried using the folders from 1.4 and copying data to 2.0.2 but the files art not in the same folders
> Also tried to upgrade 1.4 to 2.0.2 but that doesn't seem to be supported
>
> Any quick solution would be appreciated
>
> thks
> norbert

Sadly, no quick-quick solution.  There is an update wizard that is
supposed to automagically recognise older version mboxs on first
starting the new version, but that never worked well for me - it would
always spit the dummy part way through and freeze.

So, boring but true, you have to create matching sub-directories in your
inbox according to how you had it before and import the old mail one
directory at a time.  Same with other primary folders such as "sent".

The operation is: file > import, then choose "single file" and then
point the wizard to the specific mbox file on your old
partition/drive/home directory.  Repeat until done.  Boring, huh?  Has
made me seriously think about running an imap server to be independent
of these sort of email client problems (thanks for that suggestion Les
M. and others).

You have the same steps with your old calendar and tasks, but your old
address book is more problematic.  In that case, the general advice
seems to be to export the whole lot from your old Evo version as a
single vcard file.  Alternatively, you can export contacts as a csv file
and hope that eventually you get the format of the fields just right -
at least that is what people are complaining about here:
evolution at lists.ximian.com  Consider joining for specific help.

--
Regards,
        Gavin Chester