[K12OSN] Printertrouble on K12LTSP4.2

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Apr 5 14:14:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Trond [ISO-8859-1] Mæhlum wrote:

> I have gotten into some printertrouble in K12LTSP4.2. I believe this
> must be an FC3 thing, since it didn't happen in K12LTSP4.0.
>
> What happens is that my printers go into a "not ready" state after some
> time. "Some time" can be an hour or three days, it doesn't really seem
> to be an exact answer.

1) have you checked /var/log/cups/error_log ?

2) printing from Windows sometimes causes me problems if I don't
    enable raw printing. Try editing /etc/cups/mime.convs and
    /etc/cups/mime.types and uncomment the lines that enable the
    Raw filter.

3) I have heard reports that if a printer runs out of paper, after some
    period of time CUPS will disable that printer.

-Eric