[K12OSN] Upgrading firefox

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 00:27:44 UTC 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 10:10 AM, Lewis Holcroft <lewis at pcc.com> wrote:
> I want to make /usr/bin/firefox launch the new firefox. If I update the
> directory variable in the /usr/bin/firefox file, firefox does not
> launch. I tried to link /usr/bin/firefox to
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.2/firefox and I get library errors.

You could do it like this.
Copy /usr/bin/firefox as /usr/bin/firefox-original
cp /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox-original
Then make a tiny bash script

======
#!/bin/bash
/usr/lib/firefox-1.0.2/firefox

======

Save it as /usr/bin/firefox then make it executable

chmod 755 /usr/bin/firefox

It's dirty but it should work. Personally I use icewm and just change
the menu item or icon to point to the version of Firefox I want.

BTW don't forget to create the links in your 1.02 firefox plugins dir
for flash and java

--
Robert Arkiletian