[K12OSN] Seeking advice and help combining K12LTSP, OpenMosix and ThinStat

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Fri Apr 8 13:41:12 UTC 2005

Jon Spriggs <jon.spriggs at gmail.com> on Friday, April 8, 2005 at 3:55 AM
+0000 wrote:
>Although individual users are clever,
>groups of users are usually dumb, and to maintain the KISS regime, I
>want to make the whole process as simple as possible to stop them from
>ballsing it all up...

give your users a little more credit.  I have a K-8 school and they do
just fine....the trick is to try and keep things as simple for them as
possible.  We have one common log in....regardless of platform.  Since we
use Samba/LDAP with K12LTSP the same username, password, and home dir
exists for each user regardless of platform.  My kids always log in to
Linux...then if and when they need to go to Windows they simply click on
the menu item in IceWM (you can make one for Gnome or KDE if need
be)....and away they go.  Quite simple really and they all manage to do it
just fine.  (We have about 700 users)  Using ThinStation is probably going
to be overkill and add one more thing to the chain that probably doesn't
need to be there.  Just my $.02.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School