[K12OSN] Server specs

Ryan Collins mr.rcollins at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 21:45:16 UTC 2005

On Apr 9, 2005 5:06 PM, Ken Johnson <ken.tech1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have seen some Dell Poweredge servers and some Compaq Proliants.
> Does either have any special power requirements?
>
> I want to start with about 2 Gig of RAM and SCSI drives.
>
> Which is more important -  processor speed or RAM ?
>
> Would a 500-800 Mhz processor feel fast enough?
>
> What about RAID - is that something I should be looking for?
>
> Should I look for additional SCSI drives on EBay or seek new ones?

I've been use Dell Poweredge without any problems. This question comes
up a lot, so I'll give you the tips as I remember them:
- SCSI drives over IDE
- Memory over processor speed
- Seperate /home onto a different drive if possible.

With only 10 clients, 2GB of RAM should be doable. My current LTSP
server is a Quad 4 800MHz pentium III with 4GB of RAM. It's an older
Dell Poweredge I picked up for a joint vocational school for $1,500.
It supports around 25 machines, and only really slows down when
OpenOffice.org starts up.  I also placed an Amer.com gigabit ethernet
card in it, and run to a Asante 10/100/1000 switch for the clients.

--
Ryan Collins
Technology Coordinator - Kenton City Schools