[K12OSN] VNC Stopped Working

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sun Apr 10 22:28:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Jerome Edwards wrote:

> On March 31 2005, our VNC server service stopped working on all four of
> our K12LTSP servers. We have them set for automatic updates and I’m think
> there was likely an update that caused this issue. The VNC viewer from the
> terminal does not work nor can we access the K12LTSP servers from a MS
> Windows computer via VNC. The service has been working fine then the next
> day, nothing! Our teachers like to be able to access a terminal window
> from K12LTSP from their MS Windows based computer. We are running 4.2.1 (I
> believe; nevertheless, it’s the latest version of K12LTSP). I have an
> older version of K12lTSP running simply as a file server and the VNC
> services works fine. Any ideas?
> Any input is great appreciated.
> Jerome Edwards
> Leonard ISD

The quick answer: install the latest updates and restart xinetd:

 	yum install updates
 	/sbin/service xinetd restart

The long answer:

K12LTSP 4.2.1 turns on the Fedora Extra repository. The Fedora Extra
repository contains a version of the vnc-ltsp-config that is disabled
by default. If the Fedora Extra version is installed, vnc access will
be shutoff the next time xinetd is reloaded.

I put a new vnc-ltsp-config package in the K12LTSP repository that will
re-enable vnc access by default.

-Eric