[K12OSN] Still having local printing issue

Michael Elliott melliott at rpmhealthstop.org
Mon Apr 11 16:42:53 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,  I apologize for emailing once more, but I am still
having an issue adding a printer to a terminal system.

A bit of background:

I have two identical hardware setups for K12LTSP 4.0. I made a duplicate
of my original K12LTSP to the second which I intend to use at a
different office. With that said, I did change the IP addresses of both
NICs in the system.

I am trying to setup a local HP Deskjet 842c printer on a generic PC
that has an Intel CA810E motherboard and 3Com NIC. I am able to add the
printer through the Fedora printer configuration applet as a JetDirect
pointing to the IP of the computer, which I have mapped to the MAC
address in dhcpd.conf. However, when I attempt the CUPS test print,
nothing happens. The printer status reads - "Network host
'192.168.0.154' busy: will try again in X seconds."  I am dual booting
the system, and I can print to the local printer through Windows.

On the original system I had a similar message about a year ago - I
changed my lts.conf from:
[ws154]
~ Actual MAC Address ~
PRINTER_0_DEVICE = /dev/lp0
PRINTER_0_TYPE = P

to:
[ws154]
PRINTER_0_DEVICE = /dev/lp0
PRINTER_0_TYPE = P

This change solved the issue on the original system.

I tried this on the second system with and without the MAC address
section. Neither helped. I updated the system BIOS and changed the
printer port from Bi-directional to ECP. Did not help either.

The last time I tried I did say that the test print failed and I was
given an error log:
- Adding start banner page "none" to job 1489
- Adding end banner page "non" to job 1489
- Job 1489 queued on 'DJ842C' by 'root'
- Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 28105) for job 1489
- Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip (PID 28106) for job 1489
- Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/socket (PID 28107) for job 1489

The original system works correctly with no issues. The second (which is
having the above problem) I have added an actual HP JetDirect print
queue which works correctly as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Michael