[K12OSN] users kicked out on 4.2.1

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Mon Apr 11 20:58:14 UTC 2005

> I wouldn't think you'd need it with that much memory, but it might be
> worth trying.
> When do they get "kicked off"?
>
> On Apr 11, 2005, at 3:40 PM, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
>>>
>> No, NFS swap is not on, as most stations have 128MB memory, plus they
>> worked well with the 3.1.2 (not 3.2.0) and the 25000 MaxSessions
>> parameter.

This is a very random event. A few users, not all the same every time,
other than one with 64MB station. get kicked off the system - as in the
mouse and keyboard stop responding and after about a minute the station
gets a grey screen. Anybody trying to get a login screen at this time gets
only a grey screen. The system seems ok, no problems on other
workstations, no obvious messages in logs.
I upgraded the 64MB station to 256MB, the problem has not manifested
itself for the second time today. It happend on Thursday, Friday and
today. the server is a dual Xeon Gateway with 4GB, only 25 users, typical
mix is 1 terminal window open everywhere, Mozilla or Firefox, a bit of
kfax viewer, some evolution, a few OO users.