[K12OSN] LTSP, WINE, RDesktop & Sound

Casey Woods casey.woods at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 19:07:28 UTC 2005

I did a search of the archives and found nothing so here it goes....

We have approximately 120 Windows 2000 computers that are mostly Dell
Optiplexes.  They have lots of memory and are running as well as can be
expected.  The network is 100 Mbit. And we'll be connecting the switches
to the LTSP servers with Gigabit uplinks.  So bandwidth shouldn't be an
issue.  Servers will be dual processor Opterons with lots of RAM.  So we
have lots of processing power.

My concern is providing sound to the LTSP clients.  And specifically for
providing sound for a few Windows applications that just won't go away.
What am I up against here?

My options for running these Windows apps are either WINE or RDesktop w/
Windows Terminal Server.

Thanks,
Casey Woods