[K12OSN]

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Fri Apr 15 03:33:32 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Thursday, April 14, 2005 at 3:16 PM +0000 wrote:
>id wager ubuntu will recognize the windows side and rewrite grub for you..
>David: Are you using lexiASOS ON IBOOKS: SEEMS TO WORK FINE AS A LOCAL
>INSTALL BUT DAMNED IF I CAN GET IT TOP WORK OFF THE NETWORK RECORDS FOLDER
>EVERYONE ELSE IS USing..(cliebow pries the capslock key off his keyuboard
>and deep sixes it..chuck

Actually I ran 'fixmbr" from Windows CD to overwrite the MBR....then I
used Knoppix and QTparted to delete the Fedora partitions and make them
free space...then Kubuntu simply installed....I was offered the option to
use free space.  It also installed GRUB and I'm back in business.  Would
use Ubuntu, but can't seem to get Amarok to work...and I gotta' have my
music!  :-)

As for Lexia....I did the same....local install on the iBook and simply
point the records to a network share (samba share).  I use the same share
for both Windows and OS X.  You need to mount the network volume first (I
made an alias on the users desktop...in fact I created a seperate "Lexia"
user on the laptops belonging to the students using Lexia.  I have a
seperate image for them.  Works fine for the most part.
Although...anytime they can't find the records...if they ask to search for
them...that toasts almost everything...might as well reimage as it's
faster.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School