[K12OSN] new win xp thin client from MS

William Parrott wparrott at gcps1.com
Wed Apr 20 06:11:57 UTC 2005

Hi Owen,

I share your frustration with MS and the hardware requirements they have
'imposed' to use the latest offerings. While the details are few, the
features posted on http://bink.nu/Article3812.bink give hints at how
this 'thin' version of XP may help me continue to use hardware I can't
afford to replace.

> Am I failing to understand something?  I can now upgrade my
> old beater which runs badly on Win9x/ME to run really badly
> on cut down XP?

If I can replace the unmanageable Windows 9x client with a Windows
XP-based client that I can manage using existing tools without replacing
the hardware I will take a long, hard look at it. Based on the
specifications listed in the article the OS will run on just about any
5-10 year old PC (provided that it meets the 64mb RAM requirement). How
well it performs is anyone's guess at this point.

> I've been relegating the 9X beasts (with pared down OSs) to
> be terminals of W2xxx terminal servers which gives them
> reasonabe to excellent performance.  I figure this is a good
> state for them to stay in until they expire.

I looked at TS on Windows 2000 a few years ago but found that the 256
color limit, lack of sound support, and poor video performance
prohibited me from using it in the instructional environment. The
updated TS component in Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server resolved the
color and sound deficiencies but video performance is still poor
compared to a standard PC. For this new OS to be a viable alternative it
must be able to run web and multimedia content better than any thin
solution available currently.

> I think the real purpose of these MSofferings is to confuse
> the thin client market --especially segments who do not have
> a clear understanding of what a real thin client is and its
> real advantages.  The "U" in FUD.

While I respect your opinion, I disagree. I think MS realized that
academic institutions cannot replace hardware at the same rates as the
business community. This new OS may be a way to allow me to continue to
offer students affordable access to the software (i.e.. Windows
XP/Office) they will be required to use in collage and eventually the
workplace, provided they keep the cost low.

Regards,

William