[K12OSN] copied /home directory to new server ... lost icons, file manager, etc.

richard ingalls aslansreturn at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 17:04:16 UTC 2005

I did a new install of FC3 on my old RH8 /home
server... then when I put the /home directories back
on it, icons are gone, file manager gone, etc.  Why?

1) I mounted the old RH8 /home directory and copied it
to a different machine.
2) I installed FC3 (new install) on the old RH8
machine
3) I copied the old /home directories back onto this
machine
4) This machine serves the /home directories out to
several other machines
5) Now when any user attempts to login at any other
Terminal-server classroom, they get a blank screen
6) The default WM was IceWM with nautilus

What's going on?  More important, how do I fix this?