[K12OSN] Given this situation, why bother continue with LTSP?

Gustav J Kramer gj.kramer at planet.nl
Wed Apr 20 21:12:14 UTC 2005

A number of thoughts come to mind:

While the parents may be hung up on Windows I suspect the children are
less so.  As an experiment take a child "trained" on Open Office and ask
him to write a letter in Word. That should somewhat allay the fear of
skills being non-transferable.  You may also want to point out that Unix
and Apple are not dead and that their child would be limiting his/her
employment choices in the future if they become dependant on a single
OS.

As far as the "look and feel" of Windows, have you pointed out that
WinXP really isn't a lot like Win3.1?  An "uncomfortable feeling" is a
bit hard to quantify but if they can express what the problem is perhaps
a solution can be found - if they can't, it sounds suspiciously like
"we've always done it that way".  For those who want to use Win98, let
them, it will free up the thin clients for those less dependant.

Tell them that an LTSP lab is a real lab and that Linux is in the real
world. Shrek 2 was animated and rendered using linux; the City of Munich
runs linux (~14000 desktops);  it is not unusual to find linux used in
missile support equipment - is that real enough?

The arguments that you cite as ineffective, viruses, security, spyware,
etc. might be more effective if you give them the dollar value of the
added work involved if your system is compromised.  Your time is worth
something as well so factor in the centralized updates as well.  $$$ do
tends to appear on peoples radar.

While it's looking like your initial acquisition will be low cost, who
will fund the upgrades needed in a few years when new computers and
licenses are needed to support the next generation of Windows or Office?

By all means accept the new machines but use them in addition to the lab
not instead of it. It makes more sense IMHO to have 16 desktops instead
of 4.  It will give you more seats as well as allow you to provide
"cross-training" for your pupils so they aren't "disadvantaged" (or so
they can make their own choices, depending on how you look at it).

And, one of the biggest reasons to stick with open source - Freedom of
choice, something that used to be important.  Still is to some folks.

- gustav