[K12OSN] Given this situation, why bother continue with LTSP?

Jason Waskiewicz Jason.Waskiewicz at sendit.nodak.edu
Thu Apr 21 02:31:06 UTC 2005

Sir,

May I suggest that you have been given a wonderful opportunity? You have
the potential to have a Windows lab AND a Linux lab. Students could
experience both worlds. This gift expands the number of computers
available at your school and it expands the number of computer
experiences.

I use Linux and Windows XP at school. I go home and use Apple OS X. This
makes me able to fix problems on all 3 because I see them with different
eyes than those who have experienced only one system.

I grew up on a TI-99/4A, Apple IIe, and TRS-80. I then migrated to Windows
3.1, backwards to DOS (to run programs I needed as a Physics major), to
Windows 95, then Apple 9.x and then to Windows XP. (I missed the
incarnations of Windows between 95 and XP).

Because of my experience, I am comfortable sitting down at computers. I am
even the unofficial tech person at my school and was recently offered my
dream job (which I had to turn down) in part because of my wide computer
experience.

Look upon this gift as an opportunity to expand your students' options.
Down the road, think of it as a chance to get better thin clients. ;)

There is a lot of good in this gift if you are willing to look at it in
that perspective.

--Jason Waskiewicz
  jason.waskiewicz at sendit.nodak.edu