[K12OSN] Re: OSX Help

Jimmy Schwankl schwankl at chatham.k12.nc.us
Fri Apr 22 12:38:35 UTC 2005

Jim Kronenbusch wrote:

> I have setup OSX successfully to auth to the new SAMBA/LDAP package.
> No local
> accounts needed on OSX other than the admin account, but it will work
> in
> conjunction with local accounts as well.  I will be using this on our
> whole
> campus next year and make the switch over the summer.
>
> It connects over LDAP and when you get your login screen in OSX it
> pulls from
> the Linux LDAP server.  Upon login it mounts your home folder via nfs
> as the
> native OSX home folder locally.  This gives you full roaming profiles
> with
> OSX!  Very cool.
>
> If you are interested in going this way let me know and I'll document
> this.
> Currently it works with 10.3 and I will be updating this to be sure it
> works
> with 10.4 when my copy of that shows up in the next week or 2.  I
> assume it
> will be similar to what is needed in 10.2 as well but there may be
> slight
> changes.  Apple seems to be constantly updating the admin portion of
> LDAP.

Jim,

I'm very interested in going that way.  Any documentation you can give
in that regards would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimmy Schwankl

**This message was sent from the Chatham County Schools Mail Server**
*****All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to
the North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring
and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.*****