[K12OSN] Which server would you prefer?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Apr 26 13:06:29 UTC 2005

In my case, the decision was made for me: LTSP (FC3) would not install on my dual-PPro
HP box.  I did get Xandros on it, but, as Shawn suggests, it's sluggish and I don't
think would work well as *conventional* terminal server.  By conventional I mean one
running apps that are popular today, such as OOo, Firefox, Evo, etc.  I suspect that if
one were providing just vt100-style terminal sessions to the clients, the quad box would
handle adding many more users more gracefully than the P4 box.  Terminal sessions (the
green screen kind) don't take much processing power, and having four CPUs would give you
a 'broader' base for supporting multiples of them.  But there's not much call for such
terminal servers any more.

Petre