[K12OSN] single user for samba/ldap PDC

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Tue Apr 26 15:15:58 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 at 10:48 AM +0000 wrote:
>I have done away with with my windows domain controller and replaced it
>using a Samba/LDAP server (using David Trask instructions). Everything has
>gone smoothly so far. I generated 1200 users with the bulk user add script
>and created groups. The problem I need help (and I should know this) with
>is what are the terminal commands to create a single user and put them
>into an existing group. Also how do I create a user with administrator
>privelages across the domain?
++++++++++++++++++++++++
To add a single user via the command line and join a specific group...use
this

smbldap-useradd -m -a -g 526 username    (where 526 is the actual group ID
you want them to join...use your own values)

if you don't know the group ID, but you do know of another user who is in
that group...run

id username

and this will yield the results you're looking for...example....

uid=1001(ntrask) gid=513(Domain Users) groups=513(Domain Users)   *here we
see the group ID (gid) is "513"

For admin users...simply put them in the domain admins group.

After running the command to add the user you'll need to run

smbldap-passwd username     to set the password for the new user

(To be perfectly honest....I simply use the bulk user scripts...except I
make a copy and simply add one or two users using the same method I used
to add hundreds)

+++++++++++

>I also would like my k12ltsp box to authenticate to this new server. I
>have run authconfig but I am not sure which of the settings I am suppose
>to choose. Thanks for the help.
++++++++++++
See Step 15 in the how-to....do everything the same....EXCEPT...instead of
127.0.0.1....use the real IP address of the Samba/LDAP server you're
pointing to.

Also...if you set up NFS to export the home directories when you set up
the Samba/LDAP server running the smbldap-installer script....you'll need
to edit the fstab file to mount the home directories on the K12LTSP
server....in the How-To....scroll down to the section on "Additional
Notes...." and look for the NFS Exports heading....everything is explained
in there.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School