[K12OSN] Firefox - Linux Compatibility?

Timothy Legge tlegge at rogers.com
Tue Apr 26 15:14:02 UTC 2005

> > Here's a question:  If a vendor of software to
> schools creates a
> > product which runs on the Firefox Browser, will
> that product run on
> > ANY linux machine?  Or are there some versions of
> Linux on which
> > Firefox will not run?

This requires some thought.  Things that run on
Firefox for Windows are not necessarily supported
under Linux.  For example, our company launched a
product that runs fine under FireFox in windows but
the propritary viewer plugin is windows only.  It will
not run under Linux.

So, if the site uses something similar (especially
multimedia plugins), it should be designed from the
ground up on Linux to ensure that the developer does
not use windows only plugins.

However, FireFox should run on most Linux versions
that you would use.

Tim