[K12OSN] Which server would you prefer?

Chris Thomas cwt137 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 14:20:10 UTC 2005

Hello,

Go for the P4 for a few reasons:

1. PPro doesn't have MMX, SSE or any of the recent
instruction sets that speed up operations.

2. At most, the quad system would be kind of similar
to a 800MHz computer.

3. If you could underclock the P4 to the speed of the
PPro, 180 or 200 MHz, I think the P4 would still be
faster.

PPros, specially the quads, are ment to hold up to a
beating. I would use the PPro box in a mission
critical area people don't care about performance that
much. For example, LDAP/Samba server, email server,
proxy server, etc.

Chris