[K12OSN] Which server would you prefer?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Apr 26 16:23:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 10:00, The Prof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The idea of using both machines for LTSP won't work sadly. As was
> suggested in another thread on the mailing list, I'll be using one
> machine as a Windows Server and the other machine for a LTSP server.
> I'd much rather have the better machine for LTSP than Windows hence my
> original question.

Does it have to *run* windows or just act as a windows file server?
The ppro could easily share /home via NFS to the k12ltsp users and
also samba-share the same and other directories to windows clients.

> I originally posed this question in a way to ensure a fair comparison
> between the two machines. Now I know that RAM is a very important
> factor, and from what I understand, the Quad Pentium Pro machine can
> hold up to 8 GB of RAM, while the P4 can only do 4 GB. If that is the
> case, does it sway things in favour of the Quad? I only mention this
> now because the Quad will be shipped with 2 GB RAM so I'll have to get
> the other modules myself.

Unless you can find used memory for the ppro, you can't afford it.  The
2 gig it has is fine for a file server (either way) and you'll be OK
with 4GB in the P4 for k12ltsp and oddly enough, new fast memory is
much cheaper.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com