[K12OSN] Which server would you prefer?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Apr 26 18:49:45 UTC 2005

> Wouldn't he do better to run Samba/LDAP on the quad, so that
> one box handles the user's
> home directory regardless of whether coming from LTSP or a
> Windows client?  Putting it
> on the PIV makes the Windows clients dependent upon both
> servers, whereas putting it on
> the quad makes them dependent only on the quad, right?

Since the only thing the Quad would be doing is running some os to
export NFS nothing extra should need to be on that box.  If the PIV is
loaded with K12LTSP and has SAMBA/LDAP slammed on top of it all users of
both systems should be able to access the same home directories and
files from either platform.  Just be sure that the profiles folder for
each user is stored either in their respective home folders on the Quad
or in some other exported directory from that machine (in order to gain
the speed of the SCSI array when accessing profiles).

If users need to be duplicated on the quad machine you should be able to
join the LDAP from the PIV server.

If this is incorrect someone please correct me.