[K12OSN] printer authentication to win2k>

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Wed Apr 27 08:09:06 UTC 2005

Barry R Cisna wrote:
>     Hi ALL,
>
>     Wondering if anyone has a "cure" for the following.
>
>     On our WIN2K domain,,when i add a linux shared printer( HP
> Laserjet)to a windows2000 machine,each time the WIN2K box is booted
> up,the user has to click the printer folder,click on the shared
> printer icon,then "authenticate",by putting his/her username/password
> in the dialog box,before the printing becomes"ready" and is usable.
> This is NOT a problem on the WINXP boxes.on the domain. I m sure this
> has been discussed somewere, but I'm all Googled,out searching,so
>     thought Id throw it out here. I add the linux printer,to the
> windows boxes ,with the following.
>
>     http://k12ltspserveripaddress:631/printers/printername
>
>     The printer will work fine,but when the machine is rebooted,or
> shutoff,the user has to go through this sequence again,& needless to
> say I hear about it! I m trying to get as many peices setup on the
> linux servers,as possible to get away from windoz,:) I'm guessing
> this has somehting to do with the kerberos5 auth or sumfin,along
> these lines,but dont know what?.
>
>     Thanks,,,
>
>     Barry

I had a problem like this when I moved all our print servers over to CUPS.
What I had to do was to list the printers in the "Exceptions - Do not use
proxy server for addresses beginning with" setting in internet explorer. I
don't know why this should make a difference but after I did this is was OK.
All I do now is setup the printer on the machine as an administrator and
then anyone who logs in can use it. Oh all our clients are Win2k so I just
added the list of print servers to our login script that sets up proxies etc
at login.

Brian Chivers
Portsmouth College