[K12OSN] IceWM, Gnome & Nautilus FRUSTRATIONS

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Apr 27 18:50:58 UTC 2005

I saw similar behavior when I put up a FC3/K12ltsp 4.2 box but mounted /home from my
RH9/K12ltsp 3.1.2 box.  Something with Gnome changed along the way, such that when I
logged in from a terminal to the new server, Gnome would not work right.  It gave errors
about not liking my ~/.gnome directory (or one of the ~/.gnome* cousins).  I found that
it behaved normally if I renamed ~/.gnome to, say, ~/.gnome.old.  Then a new ~/.gnome
directory was created the first time I logged in, and everything was fine.  But the new
settings would probably make a mess of things if I logged into the old server.  For now,
I've retreated to the old server, and have turned off the DHCP server on the new box so
it doesn't boot clients.

This doesn't fix your problem, but perhaps explains what's going on so you can figure
out a solution.

Petre