[K12OSN] is dhcp on port 1067 necessary?

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 30 15:52:02 UTC 2005

At home I've got a 1-nic setup and besides using dhcp
for my thin clients, I'd like to have dhcp available
to friends who might bring laptops over (running
either windows or linux).  I'm currently running dhcp
from my router on port 67, and dhcp from my ltsp
server on port 1067.

I tried running dhcp only from my ltsp server, and
putting it on port 67.  Windows machines were able to
use that ok.  I guess because they didn't know what to
do with the kernel that was sent to them, they just
ignored it.  But booting a linux machine on this
network causes trouble.

dhcpd.conf currently has some logic built into it
something like this:

if the requestor is attempting pxe, then send back a
pxe kernel.
else, send back an etherboot kernel.

I'd like it to be more like this:

if the requestor is attempting pxe, then send back a
pxe kernel.
else if the requestor is attempting etherboot, then
send back an etherboot kernel.
else, send back no kernel.

Is this possible?  It's not too important for my home
setup, but it may prove very helpful in an
installation I am currently planning.

Thanks for the help.

-Rob