[K12OSN] Release cycle too fast

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 11:21:55 UTC 2005

--- Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:

> And I don't think the sub releases are only to fix
> problems, I am
> continually seeing new features added as well.  I
> for one love to see
> new features as often as possible, I don't want to
> wait a year.

This is something I have never quite understood,
possibly because I don't have enough programming
experience.  Why do we need to have a brand new
release in order to get new features?  Why can't the
new features come in the form of updated rpms?  I
don't think anybody would mind updating rpms--they
already do it for security updates and it can be set
in a cron job to do it automatically.  But I agree
that reinstalling the base operating system is a big
pain in the *** and I'd like to do it as infrequently
as possible.

-Rob