[K12OSN] Release cycle too fast

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 11:48:27 UTC 2005

--- David Trask <dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us> wrote:
> Think of it this way....they make new cars every
> year....does that mean we
> buy one every year?  Not me.

Yeah, but what if you couldn't get tires for your car
after 2 years.  Sure, you could make your own, but do
you know how?  This is kind of how I feel about linux
distro release cycles.  Every time there is a new
release, some older release usually stops getting
updates and security fixes.  I'm not sure how Fedora
is, but Mandrake for instance offers security updates
for a year-and-a-half (I think) after the initial
release date.  After that, you're on your own to find
patches to your system.

On my own desktop, I don't have a problem upgrading
once in a while.  But I maintain a few systems for
family members who only need internet and email.  In
the case of my parents, I'd rather never do an
upgrade, because anything different only confuses
them.  But I need to upgrade if I want to
automatically receive the next bugfix to openssh, for
instance.

I know this may not directly apply to K12LTSP, but I'm
trying to point out that not everybody out there needs
or even wants the latest and greatest thing.  Some
people prefer to have the same old thing.  There has
been such explosive growth in Linux lately that this
is a tough point to get across to people.  Techies
always want the latest and greatest, and techies are
the ones doing all the coding.

Good job to everybody responsible for this software.
It's great and I really do like seeing all the
improvements.

-Rob