[K12OSN] Release cycle too fast

Eric Feldhusen efeldhusen at chartermi.net
Fri Apr 1 20:50:06 UTC 2005

Rob Owens wrote:
 > Jim,
 >
 > Just to be clear, are you saying that I can apt or yum from one
 > release version and end up with the latest release version?  for
 > example, using yum to upgrade from FC2 to FC3.
 >
 > -Rob

According to guys on the fedora lists, exactly.  But I've never done it
myself, so I can't give you the specifics.

Some of the posts on the fedora list have had guys going from redhat 6.2
-> redhat 7.0 -> redhat 7.3 -> redhat 9.0 -> fedora core 1 -> fedora
core 2 -> fedora core 3 and also, some have worked from redhat 7.3 ->
fedora core 2... wild stuff.  And that's using both yum and apt.  From
what I've gathered, the more you've stuck with using rpm for all your
software installing, updates, and removal, the better it works for
updating.  If you've done a lot of installing software from source,
creating symbolic links for libraries to make stuff work, making the
system "you" specific, updating between major version updates doesn't
work well.  But, like I've said, I've seen posts from several people
that have done it.

Eric

NOTICE: New email address: eric at remc1.org
Eric Feldhusen
Network Administrator for Adams, Chassell,
Dollar Bay-Tamarack City, and
Lake Linden-Hubbell Public Schools
emailto:eric at remc1.org